A few days ago I watched the movie Soul Surfer, and it really made me think a lot about the things that I am grateful to have in my life. Which the past few months I have had a hard time focusing on what I have, rather than what I don't... Steve and I have been trying to find jobs for about two months now, and we have not had very good luck. This has been really hard for me. I feel so lazy. It is also a huge stress because money definitely does not grow on trees! I wish money wasn't so important... but it is. As we have been going through all of this I really have had a hard time, until I watched this movie.
I don't know if any of you have seen it, but its about this girl who is a pro surfer, and while she was out surfing one day her arm got bit off by a shark. Throughout the movie she is so strong, and does whatever it takes to get out there and surfing again. She had times where she wanted to give up, but she got back on her feet and kept trying. Even though she lost her arm, she did her best every day to learn new things and not ever complain.
After watching this, it made me think a lot and how I honestly should not be complaining for the trials I am facing in my life right now. They are so small compared to what so many people go through. As we were watching that movie we also found out that Steve's cousin, who has been dealing with cancer, has a few weeks to months to live. I can not even imagine what his wife is going through, and his family. I don't know how I would be able to handle that... It has made me realize that God truly gives everyone trials that we can handle, and they are all there to help us learn and grow stronger. I don't know how well I could handle loosing an arm, or my husband, or many other trials that people face, but I do know that it all happens for a reason- and God would not put that trial in our life if we couldn't handle it.
I am so grateful for my husband, and for the strength that he gives me constantly. I am grateful for my families! I am so blessed to have the family that I have. I am grateful for my friends, and for the ones who are always there for me- you know who you are! I am grateful for the gospel, and that I was born and raised a Latter-Day-Saint, I don't know where I would be without the gospel in my life. I am so grateful for Temples, and for the comforting feeling I have when I go to the Temple. I could go on for a long time the things I am grateful for... but last I want to say I am truly grateful for the trials I have in my life, and for the opportunity I have to learn and grow from them. I am grateful to be me :)
I honestly love what you wrote Kelsey! Thanks for pointing out how important it is to be grateful for what we have, and to have the faith to know that God is watching over us, and knows what we can and cannot face alone. :)
ReplyDelete